As part of the Medical & Dentistry programme students will receive:
- Advice and guidance on their A Level subject choices and University course options
- Support in accessing work experience, whether that be real life or remote
- Direction to volunteering opportunities that would support their career aspirations and university applications
- Interview practice with expert colleagues
- Opportunities to engage with professionals in the Medical & Dentistry field
- Priority access to our expert Careers Adviser
- First Aid training
Useful Tips and Resources
What is included in the Medical & Dentistry Programme?
Students at Whalley Range Sixth Form will have weekly access to support in their chosen field with sessions tailored to meet their needs that will be delivered by specialists in this area. This support will sit alongside the excellent CEIAG provision that is available to all students enrolled at our college.
Topic areas that will be explored:
- Is medicine for you?
- What qualities do you need as a Doctor?
- What are UKCAT/BMAT?
- Choosing the right University
- Advice from professionals
- Personal Statement support
Students aspiring towards a career in Medicine or Dentistry will receive support and preparation for their UKCAT and BMAT assessments that will be over seen by the Careers and Progression Team in the Sixth Form.
The BMAT is a 2-hour, pen-and-paper test divided into three sections. You can see what is in each section and also a list of courses that require BMAT below:
Aptitude and Skills Generic skills in problem solving, understanding arguments, and data analysis and inference. 35 multiple choice questions to be answered in 60 minutes.
Scientific Knowledge and Applications Tests the ability to apply scientific knowledge typically covered in school Science and Mathematics by the age of 16 (for example, GCSE in the UK and IGCSE internationally). 27 multiple-choice questions in 30 minutes.
Writing Task Tests the ability to select, develop and organise ideas, and to communicate them in writing, concisely and effectively. One writing task from a choice of four questions in 30 minutes. There are many institutions that require the BMAT. It is required for entry to a medical or veterinary degree for many universities.
Students at Whalley Range Sixth Form have had great success in securing places to study medicine, dentistry and associated careers at Universities such as The University of Manchester, UCLAN, University of Hull and Keele University. Where students have flourished with the support of the medical programme is when they have used this guidance to help develop their independence, self-motivation and drive.
You are required to sit the UCAT 2021 if you are applying for entry in 2022 (or deferred entry in 2023) to a relevant course at a UK Consortium University or non-UK Associate Member University.
The UCAT can be sat (subject to availability) between 26 July – 29 September 2021. There are many institutions that require the UKCAT. You will find a list of institutions that require the UKCAT here.
Students hoping to study medicine or associated career pathways need to achieve the highest grades and we are confident in the ability of our Sixth Form to deliver this. We ensure this happens by giving students access to:
- Modern laboratories and high quality practical equipment
- Regular wider reading
- High challenge within lessons
- Trips and visits including field work and university and museum visits and lectures
- Skilled and experienced teachers
- Regularly updated VLE and use of online resources
Students studying Science subject at A Level have the opportunity to become involved in a range of extra-curricular activities that would look favourable on any applications to study medicine:
- Nuffield projects
- Science journal club
- Biology and Chemistry Olympiad (these are set up by the Royal Society of biology and chemistry and the certificates are internationally recognised)
- Mentoring year 12 students
- Mentoring KS3/4 students
- Leading in STEM club for KS3/4
- STEM/ Crest awards
- Cambridge Essay writing competition