One of the most important things that students can do to ensure the best chances of success and progression for themselves is by ensuring full attendance to all timetabled lessons, Supervised Support Periods and intervention sessions.
Statement of Intent
Whalley Range Sixth Form consistently works hard to maintain the regular and punctual attendance of all of its students in order to support them in achieving continuous progress and positive outcomes. Absences disrupt the pattern of a student’s education, disrupt teaching routines and have an adverse effect on learning for both the individual student and the wider college community. A key element of achieving regular and punctual attendance is parental support and involvement. By avoiding absences, communicating regularly and sharing information we can work together to raise attainment standards for all.
To comply with Health and Safety guidelines it is important we have more than one up to date contact for all students. There are a variety of reasons that college may need to contact parents/carers, including a student’s ill health, college emergencies or to discuss unexplained absences and ensure students are safe. To confirm the reason for a student’s absence with parents/carers, the college will check the number being dialled in from and will generally telephone the first contact number listed on the student’s record. If contact information changes, please telephone 0161 860 2984 or email email@example.com immediately.
In the interest of continuously improving attendance, we advise all parents/carers of the following:
- Morning registration is at 8:30am and afternoon registration is at 1:45pm – students must be present in their classrooms at these times or at the time of their first / last lesson of the day
- Reasons for absence must be reported daily to WRSFattendance@wrhs1118.co.uk or by phone on 0161 860 2984 by 8:30am. Without this, absences will be unauthorised
- Absence will not be authorised for minor ailments such as colds, headaches or period pains
- Medical appointments should be made outside college hours – absence for dental check-ups, optician’s appointments and routine reviews such as for asthma will not be authorised
- Medical evidence must be provided for all absence in excess of three days or when requested by college for repeated bouts of absence. Evidence should be clear and supported with a cover note from parents/carers. Evidence is an appointment letter, prescription or GP note
- Under guidance from the Local Authority, absences are not authorised for Visa/Passport appointments – these should be planned ahead and made for outside of college hours/term time
- Under guidance from the Local Authority, extended leave will not be authorised for religious observance. Key dates will be considered (usually to a maximum of 2 days per academic year)
- Absences are not authorised on event days such as Sports Day, Deep Learning Day or a last day of term without supporting medical evidence
- Parents/carers must not book holidays in term time – leave of absence may be granted in exceptional circumstances, with supporting evidence. Request forms are available from Student Services
If your daughter is absent for more than 20 days unauthorised (for example, on a term time holiday) the college reserve the right to remove your daughter from roll, in line with the Manchester attendance protocols and procedures that are implemented in all Education and Leadership Trust schools.
If your daughter is experiencing any problems that may be affecting her attendance or punctuality, then please contact us on 0161 860 2984 or email WRSFattendance@wrhs1118.co.uk to discuss mentoring and/or family support.