The first Whalley Range Sixth Form College Virtual Careers Fair took place on Wednesday 3rd February 2021 and saw industry experts from across Manchester run sessions with Year 10 -13 students. This provided students with an opportunity to gain a perspective from employers, experts, and inspirational individuals from different fields around the UK.
The Virtual Careers Fair line-up was incredible and included the following speakers:
- Dr David – a Specialty Registrar in vascular surgery, having graduated from the University of Manchester. He has a Masters degree in Surgical Education from Imperial College, and was recently awarded a PhD from the University of Manchester
- Hannah Woodcock – is a freelance lawyer and provides legal advisory services to a range of businesses on commercial and corporate matters on a consultancy basis
- Brendan Lane – has served in the army providing medical support and currently works in the NHS as a Senior Charge Nurse at Bolton Hospital, he has also previously been employed as a Chief Clinical Informatics Officer
- Stella Smith – involved with Transport for Greater Manchester as the Metrolink Sponsor. It’s similar to being a programme manager
- Jennie Johnson MBE – founded the multi award winning Kids Allowed, Jennie opened her own training academy to underpin the knowledge and professional development of colleagues. In 2016, Jennie was awarded an MBE for services to Apprenticeships
The speakers covered a wide-range of jobs available, whilst discussing the qualifications and skills required for these specific career pathways. The event was a huge success, with over 150 pupils attending. Thank you to all the guest speakers for giving up their free time to help our students.
The event was a fantastic opportunity for the students to expand their knowledge and consider the phenomenal career opportunities in the different sectors around the UK. The event gave our college students further guidance on their POST-18 options and our key stage 4 students with their Key stage 5 options.
Mr Da Silva, Assistant Head of Year for Whalley Range Sixth Form