New cycling and walking routes have been popping up across Greater Manchester, making it safer and easier than ever to get about on foot or by bike – why not consider walking or cycling to us in September? This can be a great, healthy way to start your day – particularly for shorter trips!
Public transport is safe for those who want to use it, with transport operators implementing enhanced cleaning regimes on board services and hand sanitiser dispensers still installed at stations and interchanges. If you plan to travel by public transport, please be sure to check routes and timetables before you set off.
You should be aware that duplicate bus services – which provided additional capacity on the bus network during lockdown – will not be in operation for this academic year. Meanwhile, TfGM’s Yellow School Buses will continue to run without a pass system as they have done for the past year.
You can continue play your part in keeping yourself and others safe when using public transport or taxis and private hire vehicles, by following safe travel guidance. This includes:
- Wearing a face covering – they are still required on Metrolink services and inside stations and interchanges, unless you’re under 11 or are exempt for another reason. The use of face coverings is also expected on bus, rail and taxi services
- Keeping windows open to maintain fresh air flow and ventilation
- Cleaning your hands frequently by washing with soap and water or using hand sanitiser
- Using contactless payment if possible
- Being kind and consider fellow passengers when travelling
If you do need to drive, please switch off your engine when waiting outside to reduce air pollution and, if possible, try parking further away and walking the last part of the journey.
However you chose to travel, it’s important to plan ahead and check the latest travel advice. For safe travel guidance please visit tfgm.com/coronavirus. They also have a dedicated webpage for travel advice for the return to school at tfgm.com/schools.
Local buses routes that service Whalley Range are the 50, 85, 100 services, 150 and the 733. Please visit our School Bus Service page for more information.