Whalley Range 11-18 High School is a popular, oversubscribed school and continues to be a very high performing girls’ high school. We work together with families, our local community, business partners and local universities to enhance our students’ education.
Our core purpose is to support students of all abilities and backgrounds to develop high aspirations, believe in themselves and achieve their full potential. We expect all students to work hard and aim high in order to succeed academically and personally. We are proud of what our students achieve and are aware that we will only continue to be successful if we can fully involve and work with our parents and carers.
Mrs J. Fahey
We nurture and build ambition for our students. Throughout school life we will open opportunities, broaden horizons and introduce challenges to support your daughter’s development.
We recognise that students have different interests, dreams, abilities and needs and our school’s broad and flexible curriculum reflects this. Our staff are committed to ensure that students achieve their full potential regardless of their starting points. We offer a broad and balanced curriculum from Year 7 through to Year 13. Our curriculum extends beyond the classroom with our students having a wide range of opportunities for learning outside the classroom.
All students are encouraged to take responsibility for their own learning and conduct. Our expectations regarding behaviour and engagement are clear and consistent to ensure we have an effective and successful learning environment.
We look forward to working together with our students and families to ensure that all of our students have a happy and successful journey through our school.
Mrs J. Fahey, Academy Headteacher
Trust Vision and Ethos
The Education and Leadership Trust is a co-operative academy trust in Manchester, UK, which came into existence in September 2014. We are dedicated to promoting the emotional, physical and social well-being of our diverse and multi-cultural population and aspire to be a centre of excellence for the education of young people.
Whalley Range is a large 11-18 High School of 1500 girls located in the heart of inner city Manchester. Levenshulme is a school of 1,000 girls. The East Manchester Academy is a mixed school of 970 students in the heart of Manchester’s regeneration area in Beswick. They serve some of the most deprived wards in Manchester and embrace and celebrate their cultural diversity.
The schools receive their intake from over 75 primary schools from within and beyond Manchester. Whalley Range is the only community school in Manchester offering single sex post 16 provision. Over 90% of Sixth Form students are from ethnic minority backgrounds.
We have a Clear Mission
To educate, inspire and empower young people to be the next generation of leaders.
Dr J. MacKinnon PhD (Executive Headteacher)
We will teach resilience so students can achieve outstanding results and thrive in a challenging future.
The co-operative values of cooperation, self-reliance, team work, democracy and ethical approaches to business will inform our trust values. These values and principles will underpin the work of the Trust and we believe will contribute to strengthening the schools’ links with their local communities.
In particular, we are interested in raising standards of achievement through:
- Working collaboratively with others, including education, business, health and sporting partners, to raise standards and opportunities
- Having honest and open relationships with all other partners, helping each other to reach common goals
- Developing a global perspective rooted in the co-operative values of self-help, self-responsibility, democracy, equality, equity and solidarity
- Upholding the ethical values of integrity, honesty, fairness and responsibility
- Adopting a mutual stake-holding model where membership will be open to all involved with the school (children, parents / carers, members of the community, partners and staff)
- Developing further meaningful and sustainable links with the communities served by the Academy Trust
- Promoting learning and enterprise opportunities to develop concepts of social entrepreneurship locally, regionally and globally
- Sharing professional development programmes to build professional and social capital
- Building on positive relationships with parents
- Raising the aspirations of our students and families through sustainable links with higher educational establishments in order to develop routes to economic well-being
The Trust, through its local and wider partnerships, will work to support all schools in involving parents/carers and other stakeholders and assisting in the development of the next generation of adults who will drive our community forward and enable it to thrive. It will strive to more effectively involve all schools with their communities and vice versa.
The Alliance Manchester Business School, Manchester University, is the largest Business School in the UK. We are enjoying working together to raise standards and aspirations
The Manchester United Foundation is working with us on a three year project to raise aspirations and inspire young leaders