National Careers Week (NCW) is a celebration of careers guidance and free resources in education across the UK. The aim is to provide a focus for careers guidance activity at an important stage in the academic calendar to help support young people leaving education.
At Whalley Range, we ran a number of activities to coincide with this. They included:
- All of our Year 10 cohort spending a week on work experience with employers in Manchester
- A lunchtime careers café in the LRC, with support from Mrs Action, our school careers adviser
- The year 9 inspirational women conference at Alliance Manchester Business School
- All students watching and discussing a special episode of the WOW Show during form time
- Exciting competitions, including a game of teacher Guess Who? Based around facts from their exciting career journeys
- Year 12 business trip to L’Oréal
- Inspirational quotes from teachers shared across social media and our digital signage system
- Activities planned in to lessons across the curriculum
- Students voice conducted via Instagram stories
As an ambassador for National Careers Week, it has been brilliant to see students and staff from across the school and the trust engaged. Providing students with the opportunity to explore and broaden their horizons is always a positive experience and the planning for 2021 has already begun!
Mr Corney, CEIAG Coordinator