COVID-19 testing for students
- We are working to keep our school as safe as possible. Testing for students without coronavirus symptoms will start from 8th March. Students will be offered the quicker COVID-19 tests known as ‘lateral flow’ tests
- Student who take the test will be supervised by trained staff. The ‘lateral flow’ tests are quick and easy using a swab of the nose and throat. For under 18s, trained staff will oversee the swab process
- Results take around half an hour and will be shared directly with students participating. Where participants are under 16, parents or legal guardians will also be informed
- Along with the other protective measures we are taking, these tests will help staff and students to remain in school safely. Up to one third of people who have coronavirus experience no symptoms. By testing we will help to stop the virus spread and help to keep our school open as safely as possible
- Students will be tested on three occasions across the first two weeks back in school and then will be given home testing kits to undertake the tests twice a week at home
The test is voluntary and free of charge, but we would strongly encourage everyone to take it.
If you are happy for your child to be tested, and have not already consented, please follow this link.
What if a student tests positive?
Students who test positive will be informed about their results individually. Where participants are under 16, parents or legal guardians will also be informed. Students who test positive will need to self-isolate, along with all other members of their household for 10 days following the day of the positive result.
What happens if the test is negative?
Students who test negative can continue to attend school (unless they are a close contact of a positive case).
What if a close contact at school tests positive?
A close contact of someone in school who has tested positive for COVID-19 will need to self-isolate as per the national guidelines. This also applies to household members of close contacts outside of school who will also need to self-isolate.
What if my child develops symptoms?
This testing programme at school is for people with no symptoms. If your child develops symptoms at any time (such as a high temperature; a new, continuous cough; or a loss or change to their sense of smell or taste) they must immediately self-isolate, and book a test by calling 119 or by visiting www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test.